Leicester Junior Chess runs a club at from 2-4.15pm most Saturday afternoons (see Calendar) throughout the school year for 6 – 18 year olds.
The sessions are usually at Westleigh Christadelphian Church, Westleigh Road, LE3 0HH with children divided into ability groups.
The first hour is group coaching (head coach: leading national and county coach David Levens) with the 2nd hour devoted to competitive chess game practice.
Once a month, instead of our regular Saturday training, club members (free) and guests (entry £6) are given the opportunity to play in an informal Swiss (everyone plays in every round) competition over 4 rounds lasting about 3 hours It’s run in sections, defined by playing level rather than age. There’s a small award to the section winner and the result are published online.
Throughout the year the club targets and encourages all juniors of to compete in external individual and team competitions appropriate to their playing level. See Competitions.
Club membership costs £125 per season and includes:
- Entry to all training sessions and mini-rapidplay competitions
- Premium membership to Chesskid.com
- All match fees when representing Leicestershire in County Competitions such as J4NCL, U100, U120 etc
- Free Leicestershire Junior Chess polo shirt (1 per child)
- Discounted entry to Leicester Rapidplay congress on Oct 7th and Leicester Junior Congress on Jan 13th.
You can join the club by registering and purchasing a subscription via the Club Members page. Club members can also book on to club sessions here as well.
The Club is run on a non-profit making basis. Any proceeds are used to meet coaching costs, venue hire, equipment and generally fund the activities of the club.